Monday, October 10, 2011

A Week on the Run

I start my running week on Sundays and basically use the following plan to structure the week:

Sunday: 2 or 3 miles at tempo pace, with 2 or 3 easy miles.
Monday: Speedwork on the treadmill.
Tuesday: Hills.
Wednesday: Speedwork on the treadmill.
Thursday: Easy.
Friday: Off, easy, or crosstraining.
Saturday: Long run (8 to 10 miles).

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do my running in the basement after my daughter wakes up, and on Saturday I schedule a babysitter so that I can go outside for my long runs. I used to feel slightly guilty about  using a babysitter so that I can run, but I honestly believe that I can offer her a stronger, more balanced mother if I take that time for myself.

This week, my biggest goal is to take an off day on Friday.  I always include it in my week, but I haven't taken an off day since the half marathon I ran last month.  This article from active.com definitely gives a good picture of why rest is necessary (and how to rest without just, well, resting!):

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/What-to-Do-on-Rest-and-Recovery-Days.htm

Even though I agree with all of this, and I understand that balancing hard and easy days is crucial to making strength and speed gains, it is hard for me to deal with "mileage envy." I'm already a little envious of the extra 9 miles my boyfriend is going to rack up when he runs a half marathon in a few weeks (I'm doing a 4-mile race the same day), and I get a little critical when my weekly mileage drops below its usual level because of a rest or crosstraining day.

Plus, I genuinely love how I feel before, during, and after my runs. It's hard to give up that feeling in favor of a few pilates moves that just make me realize how tight running makes my muscles!

Focusing on rest seems like it should be easy--like I should be looking forward to Friday as a break from a week of training that my body deserves and maybe even craves.  But I love my runs and the way they help me structure my day, connect with my body, and center myself.  Maybe I can try using my rest day to somehow be mindful of the gains made through recovery, but it's much easier to feel stronger when I'm doing intervals with the Beastie Boys or Gretchen Wilson blasting on my ipod.


No comments:

Post a Comment