Thursday, October 6, 2011

Setting SMART Goals for a 5K

I've only run four 5Ks (one when I was in my twenties, three more recently--and two of these were not road races; they were Olde English-style trail/grass mixes through creeks and over hay bales), and I've never trained specifically for one.

This month, Women's Running included a 5K training plan with 3 goals: break 30 minutes, 25 minutes, or 20 minutes. At first, I was a little frustrated: I've hit 23:08 and 21:19 minutes in my most recent 5Ks, so 25 minutes is too slow but 20 sounded impossible, especially once I read the paces they recommended for intervals, hills, and tempo runs.

But then I tried a tempo workout on my treadmill--2 minutes easy, 1 minute race pace. And I did it! SO I decided to set some SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) goals that might help me hit the target.

Specific: Run a 5K in 20 minutes.
Measurable: It's a time goal, so I can measure my pace and progress toward race pace easily.
Attainable: Maybe! It may not be attainable during my target 5K, which is on a very hilly course, but that one will let me gauge my fitness and, if necessary, find another one.
Realistic: If I complete the training program, I should have a base of speed/strength that makes shaving off those 1:20 minutes difficult but possible.
Timely: My goal 5K is on October 29. That gives me just enough time to add in the speedwork, focus my training, and taper for the race.

Because of my frustration with time goals for my last few races, I'm also going to try to set some other goals so that I will be able to measure my success at following through with the training plan and having a strong race, but those goals are a little harder to plan and measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment